Friday, October 17, 2014

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson


I read the novel Speak back in 1999 when it first was published, but decided to read it again since it is our book club selection for the beginning of the school year.

Speak brings back all the rotten memories of junior high and high school. Although I didn't have any terribly scarring events, I know that friendships were hard and that there were many tears I cried over things that happened at school. I remember the day I was told not to sit with my best friend because she'd been asked to sit with the "cool kids" and I wasn't invited.

But Speak goes well beyond the typical events of a teenager, and ventures into dealing with rape and bullying. I know this tough book will be a wonderful discussion point for the students in book club.

We happen to be reading a recent reprinting of the novel. This is wonderful, because Anderson has added some great additions to the book. First, the story is proceeded by a poem including many lines students have written to her over the years. At the end of the book there is a nice section where the author explains more about why she wrote Speak. There is also a study guide and an author interview. 
Here is a nice author interview with Anderson:

This video is the Laurie Halse Anderson reading the poem from the front of the book:

No comments:

Post a Comment