Friday, September 25, 2015

The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson

Laurie Halse Anderson tells a story masterfully, and this book is definitely masterful. This story of Hayley Kincaid and her father gives us such a deep and brutal look into the lives of a family living with PTSD. Through it all Hayley tries to control (or run away from) her own life while watching her father continue to hide from his own demons.

I loved the way chapters in Hayley's father's voice were interspersed throughout the book. I felt it gave depth to his character and gave us a window into what he was dealing with.

I think the reason this book touched me in the way it did is because I work everyday with young people. These young people are so often scarred by the actions of their parents. They come to school each day hiding these moments of their lives, but often acting out and struggling because of them. As teachers we don't always take time to learn what demons our students are fighting, and we focus on the ways in which they act out or fail to achieve.

Hayley and her dad became real people to me, and I found myself sobbing at the end of the book. I hope that we can provide ways for young people to share and deal with their demons and truly meet the needs of the whole child, and not just their academic needs.

I have loved everything I've read by Laurie Halse Anderson - and this book is no exception!


2 comments:

  1. After reading your review, I'm more than interested in reading this book. It looks like it has to be really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice http://www.indialikes.com/

    ReplyDelete