Sunday, January 26, 2014

Mortal Instruments: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

I picked up the City of Bones because a couple of my students had recommended it. I admit that as I read the first chapter I almost put it away and didn't finish. To be honest I'm getting a bit tired of fantasy, and this just seemed like another crazy tale.

However, I was in the car and it was the only book I had with me, so I kept reading. I got sucked in and tore through the book, anxious to find out what would happen next. Now that I'm done I want to get my hands on book two in the trilogy and follow along on the adventure.

The story begins with Clary, a pretty normal teenager, and her friend Simon, and their evening in a teen nightclub. It gets exciting very quickly as Clary sees people no one else can see and she watches as a group of teenage Shadowhunters kill another teen. She quickly learns that her mother has spent a lifetime keeping secrets from her. Now Clary must uncover them and locate her mother in the process.

I found myself really liking Clary, and admiring her courage and loyalty. I also liked Simon, and I felt so bad for him when he was turned into a mouse. Throughout the story the tension was often broken by humor, which I enjoy so much in a book.

The novel is fast-paced and definitely keeps you on the edge of your seat. I loved reading it - and can't wait to get on to book two!

As so often happens with these good books a movie is being made. Watch for it - and enjoy the trailer below.



No comments:

Post a Comment