Sunday, February 16, 2014

Beautiful Music for Ugly Children

Wow. I just finished reading Beautiful Music for Ugly Children by Kristin Cronn-Mills, and "wow" is pretty much all I can say.

The story is amazing. Gabe is learning to be a DJ, and being mentored by his next door neighbor John. He has a crush on his bff Paige, is being flirted with by a hot girl named Heather, and is deciding what to do with his life after high school. The problem? Gabe has been living as a girl named Elizabeth his entire life.

I love the analogy he uses early in the book (that continues throughout the book) where Gabe talks about how we all have an A side - the side we share with the world. Just like a record has an A side, this is usually our good side - the one we're known for. But we also all have a B side - one that may not be as well known. So what do we do with our B sides?

Through his late-night DJ show Gabe gains a following of kids called the Ugly Children - and he encourages them to let their B sides show.

Throughout the story I was touched, moved to tears, and at times laughing out loud. Gabe is a very likeable kid, and one who cares deeply about his family and friends. Although I was at times super-uncomfortable with the content of the book, and concerned how my high school students would react to the mature theme and language, I do not regret for a moment having spent time getting to know Gabe.

I especially appreciated author Kristin Cronn-Mills explanation of the issues under the transgender umbrella. I learned so much from that discussion and its inclusion in the book was so appropriate! I can't begin to imagine the struggles a person dealing with this tough stuff would have growing up in this way.

This is definitely a book for mature readers! The language and adult situations can make the reader very uncomfortable. This is, by far, the most complicated book I have reviewed. I loved it in a totally different way than I loved many of the other books I've reviewed. And I appreciate author Kristin Cronn-Mills' guts in telling Gabe's story.

I must add that author Kristin Cronn-Mills was incredible in accepting an invitation to skype with my high school book club! We had a wonderful conversation, and the students were thrilled to talk to a real live author! I thank her so much for her willingness to take time out of her busy schedule to share with us. 

I've had 100% success in asking authors to skype with my book club this year. If you love books and work with students I would encourage you to be brave enough to seek out the author and make an online connection. It's a wonderful experience, and one that adds so much to the lives of our young people. Thank you, authors, for your willingness to talk to us!










No comments:

Post a Comment