Monday, February 24, 2014

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Revolution (a book that was recommended to me by a student of mine who proclaimed it as the "best book every written! - so I couldn't pass it up).

I loved the historical fiction aspect of this book. Having Andi become interested in, and connected to, a young girl from the French Revolution sucked me in completely. I was concerned as I read further into the book that I would not know the conclusion to the mystery surrounding Alex and the young king.

I didn't always feel as close a connection with Andi as I thought I would have, partly because I wanted her to act differently in her grief. It might have helped me if I had known a little more about her brother's death and why she felt so responsible. However, I felt very sympathetic toward her and liked her more as the story continued.

I was not expecting time travel at the end of the book, and I have to admit to feeling a bit disappointed by that. It made a realistic piece of historical fiction suddenly feel a little silly to me. The story did end beautifully though, and I would still have to say that I loved the book even no matter what.



No comments:

Post a Comment