Thursday, March 12, 2015

I Was Here by Gayle Foreman


Gayle Forman's recent book I Was Here simply made me sad. The book is all about best friends Cody and Meg, who have been inseparable. The novel begins with Cody attending funeral and memorial services for Meg, and we learn how Meg has died, by committing suicide.

Cody is unable to understand how this bright, funny, outgoing best friend of hers could have done it - and especially how she could've done it without ever telling Cody just how sad she was. As Cody uncovers the secrets of Meg's death, she really uncovers the secrets of Meg's life - a life where Meg has dealt for years with depression.

Meg's family has been determined to keep her depression a secret, believing, as I think many families believe, that she will get better, and that she will be ostracized if others know what she's dealing with.

I Was Here is honestly and beautifully told, and is a message that young adults need to read. There are many young people struggling with depression. This book gives the clear message that reaching out to others is not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength - and that telling someone is the first step in getting help, not just as a young person but as an entire family.

As much as I loved this book I couldn't help but feel concerned that there will be young people who read it without reading the entire message, and that rather than helping them it will be one thing that deepens their depression. I hope that I'm totally wrong about this! The resources that are provided in the book are excellent, and the message is clear.



No comments:

Post a Comment