Thursday, March 12, 2015

Legend by Marie Lu

I started reading Legend on Friday, and didn't come up for air until I had read the entire book! My high school book club had recommended this one, and, to be honest, I wasn't all that excited about reading it. I took it home with me, but didn't really think I would read much of it. I wasn't looking forward to reading yet another dystopian story (because, really, what else is there in YA these days?)

However, I have to say that I really enjoyed this book. I immediately felt an attachment to June, as well as to Day. Their characters were likable, and believable, and I cheered when they recognized how much they cared about each other. The only thing I didn't like about June and Day was that they seemed to act much older than their age, and I didn't like the fact that they were only 15, when they seemed so much older.

The premise of this book is that the energy and water issues of the US have divided the nation so much that it has splintered, and regions of the US have developed their own government structure. The regions are at war with one another, and this internal fighting has caused the US to drop far down in its standing as a world power. I found this issue to be very compelling and realistic - frighteningly so, in fact.

Overall I loved this book. And I'm quite sure that my book club members felt the same way. I look forward to reading Prodigy and Champion!







No comments:

Post a Comment