Saturday, November 6, 2010

#21 Confetti Girl


I have to admit it: I picked this book up at the book fair because I liked the cover. I think it's one of the greatest looking books I've seen in a long time! Now I know that's not a very good way to pick out a book - but it did turn out to be a pretty good one.

Lina and her best friend Vanessa are learning all about getting along in middle school. Sprinkled throughout the book are "dichos" (Spanish sayings like proverbs), and they are translated into English for the reader. I really like these, and I think they add a lot to the book. The situations are definitely "middle school": Lina has a crush on a boy, feels left out when Vanessa and her "boyfriend" spend more time together and less time with her, and doesn't want her Dad to find a woman to replace her Mom.

The story takes place in Texas, where the author, Diana Lopez lives. Confetti Girl is her first middle grade novel. I love the way she intersperses the hispanic culture and Spanish language into the story. Her website is: http://www.dianalopezbooks.com/.

2 comments:

  1. is this like a crooked kind of perfect?
    jasmine 4sa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jasmine,
    This book is actually quite similar to A Crooked Kind of Perfect. I loved them both: and I think you would too!
    Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete