Sunday, January 25, 2015

Paper Towns by John Green

As a huge John Green fan I knew Paper Towns was a "must read" (but you know, "so many books, so little time!) Well, I finally took the time to read it, and I am so glad I did!

Paper Towns grabbed me from the first page. I especially loved the beginning of the book - the wild scavenger hunt around town that Q and Margo go on as she seeks revenge on those who have hurt her.

I can't wait until the movie is released, and I've been seeing more students drawn to this book (and others by Green) because of the movie production. Some of my book club students felt that the rest of the book (where all Q can think about, worry about, talk about - is Margo and her disappearance) slowed down too much, but I was drawn into it. It is so true that people (and I think, especially young people) act according to how others believe they should act - and that much of our lives are spent taking on a fakey personality in order to be liked and accepted. Many of the teen books deal with this very issue - the way we have of hiding who we really are and what we really think - in order to find a place in the world.

Add Paper Towns to your list of "must reads". You will be glad you took the time! Enjoy this quick video clip with John Green below:


No comments:

Post a Comment