Sunday, January 25, 2015

Positive: A Memoir by Paige Rawls

Positive...is absolutely how you will feel when you finish this book.

Paige Rawls takes her true horrific middle school experience filled with bullying and pain and turns it into an uplifting lesson of overcoming the pain and becoming a leader.

Paige has been HIV positive from birth. After many normal and happy elementary school years, Paige tries to help a friend by telling her that everyone has disabilities to overcome. She then confides in her that she is HIV positive - and suddenly her friends are not what she thinks they are. In the first half of the book I am so saddened by the way that typical, seemingly nice middle school kids can treat others so terribly. I've worked in schools all of my life. As I read I began to think back on all of the situations where I've watched middle school students struggle. It truly amazes me that anyone can get through those years unscathed! But to face the kind of bullying that Paige faces is just heartbreaking.

The amazing thing about her true story, however, is the way that she overcomes! Where many would become overwhelmed with depression and pain, Paige is able to emerge as a confident young woman. It is a rare person who can take the suffering she faced and turn it into a way to help others. I am so impressed with her, and with all she has gone on to do.

Hear Paige tell a little bit of her own story below:


No comments:

Post a Comment