Saturday, November 30, 2013

Two Boys Kissing

Being new to the YA lit world I wasn't sure what to expect when I began reading Two Boys Kissing. Truth be told, I was terrified to begin reading it. I started it a few times and then put it aside. Finally, last weekend, I read the cover flap once again and decided I needed to give it a sincere try.

Two Boys Kissing is narrated by the voices of a generation of gay men who died from Aids. Suddenly just in knowing that I understood so much better what was being said in this tale of young men coming to terms with their gender identity.

The storyline circles around Craig and Harry - former boyfriends, now good friends, who have decided to attempt to claim a Guinness World Record for the longest kiss. In this story we meet the friends, the supportive (and not so supportive) family members, and members of the community who look on with a variety of responses - from curiosity, to admiration, to disgust, to outright hatred.

Throughout the book we meet a few other young men who are dealing with their own issues: a new couple who has just met and are getting to know each other, and also Cooper, a teen feeling threatened and abandoned by his family and on the verge of suicide.

But the most amazing part of this book is the beautiful haunting way in which the gay men tell the story. There are so much emotion in their words: you can feel the anguish, the heartache, the love, the regret, and so much more. I could go on and on recounting my favorite lines in this book. Many times I felt a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. I can't say it enough: Two Boys Kissing is beautifully written.

Again, being new to the high school library world, I wonder who will check this book out. Would I be brave enough to recommend it to someone I think is struggling with these issues? Would I be brave enough to recommend to someone just because I think they would enjoy the beautiful writing? More importantly, will high school students be brave enough to check it out and carry it away from the library? In some ways I wish it had a cover that was more conservative - a title that gave away a little less.

But again, I have to say, I loved the writing in this book. I loved hearing the voices of those who came before and understanding their love, their perspective, their loss. I only hope I'm not the only one in my library who will read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment