Thursday, March 17, 2011

#67 laveideM


I have to admit that I'm not quite sure what to do about this book. You see, every book I've written about in this blog has been one that I'm happy to recommend. However, laveideM was not a book I was particularly impressed with, and it is not a book I would encourage many students to read. Please don't get me wrong: I am sure there are some students would find it "a hilarious fantasy" (as one reader proclaimed in a review I read) but for the most part I found it to be a little difficult to follow and more work than fun to read.

The story starts off in a fractured fairy-tale sort of way - with Lord Bugle (who executes most of his staff), a beautiful princess with a mysterious message, a peasant, and a few random dragons and castles. Jason, the peasant, joins in partnership with Lord Bugle and they set off to deliver the letter for Princess Jennifer. Along the way they do have a few adventures, but these are usually highlighted as being funny. This made me lose interest in the story quite quickly, and I really had to struggle to continue reading until the end.

This book was a Scholastic Art & Writing Award contest winner and the author wrote the book while she was in college. That may explain was the book isn't as well-written as I would have liked, and I wish the publishers had worked with her to develop the story more thoroughly.

As I said, there may be readers who enjoy it, but I found it to be one of those books I wished I hadn't wasted my time on.

2 comments:

  1. "This book was a Scholastic Art & Writing Award contest winner and the author wrote the book while she was in college"

    Actually..it was finished before she even entered the 11th grade. Just sayin..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I wasn't aware that she was only in high school. Still, for a published book I stand by my words. I hope she keeps writing though!

    ReplyDelete