Saturday, February 19, 2011

#58 Saving Zasha


Saving Zasha is a beautifully written story based on the true events of World War II. I had never heard this before, but in Russia following World War II, dogs that were considered to be German dogs were hunted down and destroyed. So many dogs had been killed that it was almost unheard of for a family to have one, so when 13-year-old Mikchail finds one in the woods he is determined to protect it.

But keeping a German shepherd hidden isn't easy for Mikchail and his family, especially with nosy Katia snooping around. As the story progresses however, Mikchail finds out that Katia isn't the only one trying to find out about Zasha. You will be on the edge of your seat as Mikchail and Zasha are chased by armed dog thieves and are barely able to escape. What will happen to Zasha? Will Mikchail and his family be able to protect her and keep her hidden? Or is there a better way?

Mikchail and his brother Nikolai learn about a Russian soldier who loves dogs and is determined to create a new breed of Russian dog. Would he want to steal Zasha too, or is he someone they can trust?

I think this story teaches a lot about war and hate, and also about forgiveness and hope. One of my favorite lines is early in the book, when Mother explains how both the Russians and the Germans used dogs to injure and kill their enemies. Mother says, "People sometimes do heroic things in a war, but everyone does terrible things. No one is only good, or only bad."

You can hear an exerpt from Saving Zasha in the video below, but you will want to check out the book and read the whole story. I'm certain of that.

5 comments:

  1. I really think it's a good book. It's very adventurous and a book to think about in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this book it is one of the best books ever!If I had the book I would read it a lot more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book! It was pretty intense and had some gross parts but it was amazing! Couldn't keep my eyeballs out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read Saving Zasha before and it' sthe best book in the whole wide world!!!My favorite character is Zasha,of course!!I could picture everything happining in the story it was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who ever has not read Saving Zasha needs to because It's the best Book I have ever ever read in my whole life!!Zasha is soo cute!!:D

    ReplyDelete