Sunday, December 15, 2013

Divergent


I loved Divergent by Veronica Roth! This book grabbed my attention from the very first sentence and sucked me in totally! It was one of those books I read late into the night because I just couldn't put it down! Thank you Veronica Roth for creating this society for me!

I "booktalked" this series early in the school year to all of our 9th and 10th graders (even though I hadn't read the series yet - which is a terrible thing to do, but something a school librarian must do sometimes. Please forgive!) The kids were interested right away and those who loved Hunger Games, and the many other dystopian society types of books put this on their list of "must reads" right away.

Once I began Divergent I was also really struck by the similarities between Triss and Katniss. They are both very strong young female role models who make decisions and share their emotions and thought processes very honestly. Both are characters who seem real to us; characters we would like as friends, because of their loyalty, honesty, bravery and potential to love fully.

Of course I also loved the character of Tobias, and although the relationship between the two was predictable I don't think that took anything away from the excitement and entertainment of the story.

If this is a series you have not yet read, you will want to read it today!

No comments:

Post a Comment