Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Insurgent and Allegiant by Veronica Roth


The minute I finished Divergent by Veronica Roth I began the next book in the trilogy, quickly followed by the final book. Throughout the last few days of my holiday vacation it became somewhat of an obsession with me. It helped to have my daughter here, as she had read all three books and was anxious to talk to me about the final chapters of the last book. (You'll get no spoiler from me here: you've got to read this one on your own!)

I admit that I am a speed reader. I rarely read a book more than once, and typically I fly through books very quickly, sometimes missing important details. There are a few books that deter me from this path. If a book is beautifully written it causes me to slow my reading and to re-read many phrases, paragraphs and even whole chapters. That being said, you need to know that I LOVED Veronica Roth's beautifully written books! I found myself reading much more slowly and carefully, even reading parts of the books out loud, because I enjoyed the language so much!

The first two books in the series are written only from Tris' point of view. Hearing the story in her words causes the reader to form a strong connection with Tobias, and with many of the other characters in the books (Peter, Cara, Christine, Caleb, and many more). In the third book we are introduced to the Tobias perspective through chapters written in his voice. This allows us to not only see his choices in a new light but also to give us a new perspective on the strengths and the shortcomings of Tris. We see another side to each relationship, and I think that does so much to help us understand and connect with each character.

So, if I haven't said it clearly enough, this is one series you won't want to miss!


No comments:

Post a Comment