Thursday, March 12, 2015

Yes, Please by Amy Poehler

Prior to leaving on a trip I needed some reading material on my iPad, so I purchased a digital version of Amy Poehler's recently published, Yes, Please. I breezed through it on the plane and by the pool on a relaxing vacation.

I must say I enjoyed the short chapters and Amy's easy-to-read style. True to what I expected, the short tales from her busy life as comedian, actor and parent were humorous - and reminiscent of my own days with young children (minus the on-stage, famous actress part). I find Amy to be very personable, funny, and honest, and these peeks into her life were definitely honest and funny.

I have to say that when I got to the last part of the book I didn't feel as strong a connection because I was not familiar enough with the Saturday Night Live cast and especially the cast of Parks and Recreation. Although it was a show I watched a few times, it wasn't one that I followed on a regular basis. I think people who are fans of the show would be fans of this book. It gave a lot of insight to the funny "behind the scenes" moments, and I'm sure it would make the reader feel as if they knew all of the characters personally.

I found it to be an interesting, easy read. It certainly wasn't the highlight of my vacation - but it was an enjoyable diversion from some of the young adult novels I typically read. If you're a fan of Amy Poehler I'm sure it's one book you won't want to miss. Otherwise, she's young enough and talented enough that they'll be another memoir coming down the road for her one day.



No comments:

Post a Comment